Tuesday, January 5, 2016

Grandma Olga


I've been expecting the call that came last night for a while.  My Grandma Olga has been ailing for a very long time and my uncle called to let me know that she had passed away peacefully Sunday night.  She was a remarkable woman and I am at a loss knowing that she is gone. She was not most people would consider to be a typical grandma.  She was one of those people that enter a room and everyone else in there comes to attention because of her amazing presence and magnetism.  After she retired from her Directorship at the American Cancer Society, she volunteered for several other organizations and the local hospital until she was in  her mid 90's.  Until the past few months, she was always sharp as a tack and would ask me about Andy and the dogs,  and how my knitting pattern business was doing, and most importantly: "how are you wearing your hair?"  Grandma was always up on the latest fashions and trends.  We would go shopping together and even when I was in my 30's and we would come out of the stores with matching outfits.  I spent a huge amount of time with her when I was growing up and she is the person who taught me to knit, how to dress, and always had advice for me when I needed it most.  I'm going to miss her for the rest of my life, but I'm glad that she is finally at peace.




My uncle read this post yesterday and sent me a picture of Gram with his bike on it's maiden voyage to Maine.  In the back right of the picture is her flower garden. 



4 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry for your loss, your grandmother seems like an amazing woman. I love that photo from 1930, it seems to sum up an extraordinary life lived to the full.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Chrissy. She really was an amazing lady.

      Delete
  2. I'm truly sorry for your loss Lara.

    ReplyDelete